Updated on February 7, 2019
Getting Around Manhattan Gets Cheaper
Via just expanded and their $5 rides now cover most of Mahattan. Haven't heard of Via yet? This smaller competitor to Lyft Line, Uber Pool, and Gett, in New York City, is different – it only provides shared rides, not private rides. While Via is smaller, it does have one advantage: it allows the use of pre-tax dollars. Via's hours are limited to 6:30am to 9pm (when most people need to commute).
They are also offering up to a $1,000 bonus for new TLC licensed drivers. More details below.
HOW VIA $5 RIDES COMPARE
- Via $5 Rides: 110th St to Houston St. (only from 6:30am to 9pm)
- Lyft Line $5 Rides: South of 97th St. (Limited Time Promotion)
- Uber Pool $10 Rides: South of 96th St. (Limited Time Promotion)
- Gett $10 (Private) Rides: South of 110th St.
$10 SIGN UP BONUS
- Download the free app: Apple's App Store or Google Play
- When you sign up, enter the promotion code JEFFREY5T8 Just click MENU –> PROMO CODES.
$1,000 NEW DRIVER BONUS
Via is paying up to $1000 for new drivers in New York City (must be TLC licensed). They prefer larger vehicles but it is not required – see the full list of vehicles. It is a tiered bonus, so you will receive $100, $400, $500 once you complete 3, 35 peak hours (in the first 2 weeks), 60 peak hours (in the first 4 weeks).
- To apply visit drivewithvia.com and click “Apply Now”.
- For the question “How did you hear about Via?” select JEFF200 in the dropdown to qualify for the bonus.
- Complete the rest of the application.
The expanded service area is from 110th street down to Houston St. (previously 14th st). A $5 shared ride in of Manhattan is a great deal — and an alternative to Lyft's $5 promotion.
USE PRE-TAX DOLLARS
Via allows you to pay with Pre-Tax Dollars, making your ride even cheaper. Via's larger competitors do not offer this. I currently use a Commuter Check card to pay for my public transit which would work with Via's system. They accept WageWorks, Commuter Check, TransitCheck, Beniversal, and eTRAC.
REFER A FRIEND CONTEST
Win $50 Via ride credit (that's 10 rides!) by referring the most friends with your own referral code by 4pm on August 2nd. The next two runners up will also receive $10 ride credit.