Updated on November 15, 2016
Can't I just order my food without politics getting in the way?
The CEO of GrubHub, an online food delivery service, wants to get rid of any employee who does not share his political beliefs. Matt Maloney, sent a politically charged email to employees setting off a firestorm and potentially pissing off half of their customers. So much so that their stock dropped 5% after the email was released! Oops. Its true that a careful reading of the email shows he doesn't want to fire those employees but that's not how people and the financial markets are reacting to it. It just created more conflict and puts many people in an uncomfortable position on both sides of the political isle. For those who agree with the CEO, what happens if you have a different point of view on the next political topic? There's the door!
The CEO told Fox News that “almost 20 percent” of his employees have personally thanked him for the note. “I am not embarrassed by it,” the CEO said. What about the other 80%? I can't speak for them but I think many would think this is crossing the line. Do employees need to have the same political beliefs as their employer. There are negatives to both candidates and everyone can make up their own mind as how to vote.
Yesterday, the CEO backpedaled to clarify that he welcomes all employees regardless of their political beliefs. The company is based in Chicago which overwhelmingly voted for Hillary (zoom in to see the county level results). This is the same city where a group of Hillary supporters recently recorded themselves yelling “You voted Trump” while 3 men beat and carjacking a man on the streets of Chicago. It should be painfully obvious that the CEO wouldn't support this type of behavior even though the attackers clearly support the same candidate. Neither candidate has a clean record in this department. We all lose.
One United pilot has the right idea when he said passengers need to keep politics off the plane. I couldn't agree more! And I think politics has no place interfering with my food order, either. Both candidates seem to be hated by about half the country but that doesn't mean everyone supports everything their candidates say or do.
I welcome all readers regardless of political beliefs. Agree or disagree, both are ok. Back to travel, miles, promotions. Here are some other food delivery companies which will be happy to have your business and don't seem to care about how you voted. They just want to delivery you some food. These are referral links – thank you in advance if you use them.
- Delivery.com $7 free food for new users
- Doordash.com – $7 free food for new users
- Trycaviar.com – $20 free food for new users
- UberEats – $15 free food for new users with promo code EATS-UBERTAKEFREERIDE
Now… time to order my politics-free dinner.