Updated on March 18, 2019
How To Dispute Avis eToll (HTALLC) & Hertz Platepass Billing Errors
I frequently rent cars from Avis and too often get overcharged for tolls. This is a fun little profitable game car rental companies have been playing for many years! Here's how it works. I rent a car and expect no charges at all since I use my own EZ-Pass (and leave the car rental EZ-Pass locked away). They add an expensive “eToll Convenience Fee” of $3.95 per day (max $19.75 per month) just to use their EZ-Pass. That's per day for my entire rental, not the number of days I actually use the EZ-Pass.
In the past they would just charge my credit card without providing an invoice until I filled out this request form (Avis eToll) to get automatic invoices emailed. So, the fees hit your credit card. It's too small to waste time looking up, since you don't even know how to and you just pay it. Have you done this?
Below I'll explain how you can look up your charges and dispute any mistakes.
Class Action Lawsuit
This huge rip off has gone on for too long! Here's a class action against Hertz's hidden toll charges.
How to Look Up Your Detailed Itemized eToll Statement
You might be wondering “what are those extra car rental charges on my credit card statement?” Sometimes I've seen them appears months later. This works for Enterprise, National, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Payless Car Rental, EZ Rent A Car, Advantage, City , ACO, Carl's Van Rentals, NEXTCAR, Rent A Wreck (bad name btw), AVR, and Edge:
- Load the Highway Toll Administration website.
- Choose your car rental company. In my case, it was AVIS.
- Fill in your last name and either credit card digits or car rental contract number. Now you'll see a detailed statement of charges like this one:
- Get future invoices by email automatically by filling out this form.
- HERTZ? Get your detailed invoice here.
Unknown or Unfair eToll Charges
I was very surprised to find a charge of $11.90 (I was expecting no charges as I used my own EZ-Pass). For some reason, my EZ-Pass didn't register a $4.00 toll while driving in Delaware. What was even more surprising was the total was almost triple the original toll: a charge of $11.90 (that's $4 + $7.90 convenience fee). Even though I only used the EZ-Pass for 1 toll on 1 day, I was charged for 2 days because my rental was for two days. Getting my transponder replaced has helped prevent this situation from happening again.
How to Dispute an Incorrect eToll Charge from Avis Budget HTALLC or Hertz PlatePass?
This is how it usually went (this might be your situation):
What is this extra car rental charge for on my credit card? I wasn't expecting any charges since I used my own EZ-Pass and kept the Avis one locked the entire time. It's just $12, should I just pay it? No! This is bullshit, I'm not letting them get away with this! Let me call Avis and ask, “I have a charge of $xx on this date, what rental is it from?” Ah, where was I and did I take forget my EZ-Pass that day? By now I have probably wasted at least 30 minutes-1 hour. Crap, I forgot to ask Avis how to get a detailed invoice, so I call again and find out about HTALLC.com.
Next I contact HTALLC by phone or email. They ask for proof that I paid the toll, so I login to EZ-Pass to check my charges. Argh, I have to reset the password. In the end, I am successful and sit smug basking in my victory! Well, I earned about $12 for 2 hours of my time over the course of several days. This is probably the reason they do it this way and the reason why most people don't bother (are you OCD about stuff like this too?). It's a cash cow. They have no reason to make it easier. You won't let them get away with it either, right? It's the principal that matters!
The QUICK Way To Dispute a Charge
This method has worked for me many times. Hope it saves you some time!
Avis Budget (HTALLC / E-Tolls.com)
- Make sure you automatically get detailed invoices emailed – fill this out.
- Need the detailed statement? Try HTALLC or e-Tolls.com.
- Email eCare@htallc.com, include a copy of statement and any evidence you have. For example, I provided a copy of my EZ-Pass statement showing I already paid that toll on my EZ-Pass.
- Need the detailed statement? Click here.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, include a copy of statement and any evidence you have. For example, I provided a copy of my EZ-Pass statement showing I already paid that toll on my EZ-Pass.
- This also works for Budget Truck Rental, Autonation, Firefly Car Rental, JM Lexus, and Sky Car Rental.
Advantage, Alamo, AVR Car Rental, BMW Bayside, Carl's Van Rental, Toyota Rent a Car, Dollar, Drivo Rent a Car, Edge, Enterprise, EZ Rent a Car, Hertz, Mercedes Benz, National, Next Car, Payless Car Rental, Rent a Wreck, Thrifty
- For all these car rental companies, follow the same steps as for Avis Budget.