Wow, 100,000 Avios with the British Airways Visa, but this is not for everyone. I got a 100,000 offer a few years ago and was able to get some great value from my Avios points. It's a lot of Avios but there's a catch. You will have to spend a total of $20,000 within 1 year. For the same spend you could apply for 4 cards that give you 50,000 miles after spending $5,000 in 3 months for example, which would give you a total of 200,000 miles. And there is an annual fee of $95. **note that I recommend never using the points for a flight on a British Airways plane but instead on partner flights because of the high taxes and fees British Airways charges you**
Is this worth it?
Lets start with what you can do with 100,000 points. Avios points are fantastic for short-haul flights because they charge you based on distance. They are also great to use to South America or short flights within South America.
- NYC to Miami costs only 15,000 Avios round trip in coach. You could buy 6.5 round trip flights and still have some Avios left over. If a flight NYC to Miami is worth about $250, then its worth about $250 x 11 = $1,650
- NYC to Montreal also costs 9,000 Avios round trip in coach. Flights in June 2014 cost about $380 x 11 round trip flights = a value approx $4,180
- Lima to Cusco costs 9,000 round trip in coach. The flight costs about $300 round trip. There are many other short routes available in South America – basically anywhere LAN flies – Chile, Peru, Argentina
- NYC to Lima costs 40,000 round trip in coach. Flights generally cost around $800. You can get 2 and a half round trip flights (yes, you can book one ways), which gives a value of about $2,000.
I wouldn't be able to plan my upcoming Peru trip as efficiently (and cheaply) without my Avios points, so they are great to have for these short flights.
Below are the details of the offer
There’s no better time than now to apply for the British Airways Visa Signature® card to start earning bonus Avios.
- You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
- 25,000 bonus Avios after $10,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening.
- Plus an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you make an additional $10,000 in purchases also within the first year of account opening.
Together that’s 100,000 bonus Avios,
Earn Avios with Every Purchase
- In addition to the bonus, card members earn 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1.25 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.5
No Foreign Transaction Fees
- You will not be charged a foreign transaction fee when you make purchases abroad.6
Chip and Signature Technology
- Chip and Signature technology allows you to use your card widely when travelling internationally.
Travel Together Ticket
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa Signature® card, you will earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years when you redeem for a flight on British Airways.7 Taxes, fees and carrier charges are approximately $682-$1250 per adult in economy or $1250 in business class based on travel from Seattle to London.4 For more details, visit ba.com/traveltogetherticket.
- Enjoy bonus Avios and more British Airways Visa Signature® card benefits with an annual membership fee of $95
[I do not receive any commissions if you sign up for this card. I have an offer for 50,000 miles but I'm not going to even share that one because it's not as good as the above offer.]
HT to ViewFromTheWing
Leave a Reply