Updated on April 5, 2017
Using Amex Airline Fee Credit for Airline e-Gift Certificates
There is a $200 & $100 airline fee credit offered by American Express for the Platinum, Business Platinum, and Premier Rewards Gold. By now, you have probably heard that many are getting reimbursed for electronic gift certificates for certain airlines such as American Airlines. Not long ago many bloggers were posting that it stopped working but it was only temporary.
UPDATE: This is no longer working according to Flyertalk (but they have removed all posts mentioning it) and other sources. Just buy AA gift cards instead.
The post below provides details on using the airline credit for Amazon.com gift cards. If you are interested in using the airline credit for airline gift cards, see this post for tips and tricks on using for various airline gift cards.
Will Amazon.com e-Gift Cards Get Reimbursed?
It appears electronic gift cards for Amazon.com are now getting reimbursed as well…as well as other things. You can follow the instructions on Flyertalk and use the United gift registry. Or you can use an easier method: buy through United's MileagePlus X shopping app.
One downside of the gift registry method is that it requires a 24 hour waiting period but the easier method (explained below) does not have any waiting period.
How to get e-Gift Cards Reimbursed
Hat Tip to two readers who tried both methods and provided screen shots. Here's how:
- Step 1: Important: First you must select United as your airline for the current calendar year: Do it online here Premier Rewards Gold or Platinum / Business Platinum or call customer service.
- Step 2: Download United's MileagePlus X (iOS) (Android) application on your smartphone
- Step 3: Search ONLINE MERCHANTS and select AMAZON
- Step 4: Select PAY NOW on AMAZON
- Step 5: Enter desired amount (up to $100 for the PRG and $200 for Plat / Biz Plat). I suggest doing $50 at a time just in case, but this reader just did $200 in one go and it worked.
- 7/8/16 Update: Still working. It took 2 business days for the credit.
- 1/21/16 Update: Please stick with $50 increments! Still working. It took 4 days.
- 12/28/15 Update: Still works as of 12/25/15.
- Step 6: Enter your American Express credit card details
- Step 7: Complete checkout
- Step 8: Fee credit should be reimbursed ~5 business days after the charge has posted
How to Use the Amazon e-Gift Cards
Here are the terms of the Amazon.com e-Gift Cards:
After you purchase the gift card, the gift card # should display. There are 2 ways to add your gift card to your Amazon account. 1. Click this link to add your gift card through Amazon's website, or 2) click “copy number” on the bottom of the app which will launch the Amazon App where you can paste in the gift card #. I also earned 2x miles per dollar spent!
Does Trick Work for Citi Prestige® or Chase Sapphire Reserve?
No – trick does not work. I tried on both cards and did not get reimbursed.
[…] why does the wiki only have the gift registry method which seems quite a hassle. this shows that you can just buy it directly via MPX without jumping through loopholes… http://therewardboss.com/2015/10/30/…on-gift-cards/ […]