Updated on November 23, 2015
$1000 Bonus For New Lyft Drivers – FEWER CITIES – Deadline Extended
- UPDATE: 8/20/15: $1000 Bonus for new drivers in Boston!
- UPDATE: 6/1/15: new driver bonus now up to $750 to $1,000
- UPDATE 3/4/15, 12:30pm: Lyft sent out the following update. Translation: “We are working on it, but you still need to complete all the requirements by March 5.” That's just one day away. Check your application status here.
READ THIS BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!
UPDATE 2/27/15: Soon after I posted this, Lyft changed the terms again at about 4pm! They now require you to complete 30 rides by the deadline. This still might make sense for some people but its not as easy as the original offer! I am adding the new screen shots below and updates as fast as I can. Did you sign up in time? Please email or comment below if you applied and how the process is going, or if you have any questions.
Congrats to all those who signed up already! Lyft just changed the terms of the $1000 Bonus promotion I wrote about yesterday. As long as you applied before 3pm EST Feb 27, 2015, the promotion is valid for all the cities I posted yesterday. They removed cities and extended the $1000 bonus until Sunday March 8 for the cities below. That was the first change around 3pm. Then around 4pm, they added the requirement for 30 rides (instead of 1) to be completed by the deadline. Here are the details on the Lyft website.
The offer is no longer available in the following cities: Seattle, Atlanta, Austin, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City (I'm not sure about NYC – see screen shot below)… IF YOU APPLY AFTER 3pm Feb 27.
APPLY TO DRIVE:
- Apply starting today (3 p.m. EST) on Friday, Feb. 27, 2015
- Complete your
first ride30 rides by 11:59 p.m. local time, Sunday, Mar. 8
- Enter the promo code below for your city and we will each get $1000 (you can also use the code BENJAMINS which will only get you the bonus, I will not get anything). Thanks in advance if you use my referral links!
- Check your application status here
I just received this email update from Lyft at 9:24pm EST 2/27/15. It confirms the promotion is still live in certain cities but require 30 rides now. They include NYC as still live with a $500 Bonus even though the Lyft website makes it seem that it has ended in NYC as well. (click the image to zoom in).
*Note – Lyft's background check, photos, and mentoring session takes a few days so you would need to sign up and go through Lyft's process as soon as possible to have enough time to take your first ride and get the bonus.
|Philadelphia||$1,000 New Driver Bonus||DRIVEDRIVE||Link|
|Boston||$1,000 New Driver Bonus||Link|
|Chicago||$1,000 New Driver Bonus||Link|
|Washington DC||$1,000 New Driver Bonus||Link|
|Denver||$1,000 New Driver Bonus||Link|
|Dallas||$1,000 New Driver Bonus||Link|
|Nashville||$1,000 New Driver Bonus||Link|
The offer is no longer available in the following cities: Seattle, Atlanta, Austin, San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City… IF YOU APPLY AFTER 3pm Feb 27.
Lyft changed the terms of the promotion twice – once around 3pm then again around 4pm:
These were the new terms posted on Lyft's website around 4pm on February 27.
These were the new terms posted on Lyft's website around 3pm on February 27. Note the “complete first ride…” vs the new “30 rides” above.
HOW TO APPLY
- Click www.lyft.com/drivers
- Enter the promo code in the box (see pic below). I checked with Lyft and they said passenger referral codes will not get you the bonus.
- Make sure you give your first ride by March 5, 2015 to collect your bonus
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Q: Is this real?
A: Check out this Lyft page.
Q: How long does the background check take?
A: A couple readers have said the background check was quick and they just receive an email which said they passed.
Q: How do I check the status of the background check?
A: Many have contacted Sterling Back Check 1-800-899-2272 to find out.
Q: How are taxes handled?
A: Lyft will issue you a 1099. Make sure you figure how much the taxes you will owe at the end of the year before spending it all.
Q: What are the requirements for becoming a Lyft driver?
A: From Lyft's website.
- Be at least 21 years old
- 4 door car with at least 5 seatbelts (including driver's)
- Vehicle from year 2003 or newer (More details on car requirements). Note: In our Seattle, Washington, D.C., and Minneapolis-St. Paul regions, government regulations require cars to be no older than 10 years. Newer markets may also be subject to a 10 year car requirement.
- Be licensed to drive for at least a year prior to applying (More details on driving history requirements)
- In-state insurance with your name on the policy
- In-state license
- In-state plates with a current registration (commercial plates are acceptable as well)
- Clean driving record
- An iOS or Android smartphone that meets the minimum requirements to run the latest version of the app.
Some of our markets have specific requirements in order to comply with local government. You can learn more about those region-specific requirements here.
To view more about our safety requirements, please visit lyft.com/safety.
Q: How does the welcome ride work?
A: Read the details on Lyft's website.
Q: I still have more questions. How can I get in touch with Lyft?
Q: To qualify for the $1K referral bonus, does an applicant only need to apply online before the 12PM PST cutoff or also do the mentoring to qualify?
A: According to Lyft, Just apply before 12PM (PST) (see screen shot below)
Note: If you click some links on this site, TheRewardBoss may receive a commission at no added cost to you. By doing so, you help support my project and allow me to continue providing you with more rewarding information. I research, travel, and write my opinions regardless of whether there is a commission available. You don’t have to use my links, but I appreciate when you do. Thank you for your support!