Updated on May 25, 2015
How I Scored 7,000 Hyatt Points for $98 (staying 1 night at Hyatt Old Greenwich, CT)
2,000pts – Hyatt G promo (GW2000) until end of August
1,000pts – Diamond amenity
2,500pts – Closed Regency Club Lounge (always closed on the weekend)
1,000pts – First 6 nights Diamond challenge
~ 500pts – Normal stay credit + Hyatt Chase credit card
7,000pts – Total
Hyatt Regency Greenwich G Promo – Old Greenwich, CT – Here is the link to the promotion: LINK
I stayed on August 18th AAA with a rate of $98 for 1 night – comes with breakfast buffet for 2 ($56 value). Total after tax was $112. I also had a $60 left on my $900 gift card I had redeemed years ago from the Capital One credit card deal, bringing my total cost even lower.
Interesting thing to note during breakfast, I overheard a convo as I was waiting for the toaster, one man said to the other “I booked a night here and I don’t even spend the night… I bring the kids here to use the pool, and it comes with free breakfast and I get a ton of pts” so it appears locals take full advantage of this as well. Unfortunately, I live in NYC, so there are tolls and ~40 minutes worth of driving. Besides, CT has much to offer…
So how did I spend my time? 3hrs at Stew Leonard’s (http://www.yelp.com/biz/stew-leonards-norwalk) where they had a spectacular $9.99 lobster meal (1 lobster at least 1lb, corn, fries, and drink of your choice). Note they also had live lobsters for $3.99/lb inside. Stew Leornard’s is similar to Whole Foods except they have a mini farm outside the store, and cool features inside, geared towards kids (like a cow that goes “mooooo” when you press the button). Worth the drive if you have never been!
Spent another 3hrs at Stamford Mall (http://www.yelp.com/biz/stamford-town-center-stamford-3) where the lady shopped while I played Words w Friends on my iPhone. A large mall by CT standards, but nothing special about it. A bit confusing when you first enter – you will know when I mean when you experience it yourself.
Skipped dinner because of the late lunch we had at Stew Leonard’s although next time, I plan to check out one of the many local eateries. This one is what I have in mind (http://www.yelp.com/biz/valencia-luncheria-norwalk). Going camping this coming weekend, so can’t do another mini-trip. Flying back from Vegas 8/29 so thinking about going again Friday night. Unfortunately, the AAA rate is $125, which I think is still worth it.
So what is 7,000pts worth? The Park Hyatts of the world, with room rates approaching $1,000 per night, require 22,000pts to redeem. Perhaps I may visit one of these:
· Park Hyatt Paris Vendome – http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2013/01/14/new-years-in-paris-air-france-business-british-airways-first-and-the-park-hyatt-vendome-a-wonderful-place-to-stay-in-paris-on-points/
Steps to Score 7,000 pts
· How start Hyatt Diamond Challenge – http://romsdeals.com/2013/05/16/start-your-hyatt-diamond-challenge-on-june-1/
· How to sign up for the GW2000 promo at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich – http://greenwich.hyatt.com/en/hotel/offers/offer-detail.html?offerId=51614957&isBookable=true
· How to get the AAA rate – Click “OFFERS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES” when doing the search
· Make sure to book either Friday or Saturday night as the Regency Club is closed on the weekend. You will get 2,500pts for closure. http://boardingarea.com/pointsmilesandmartinis/2012/12/two-often-overlooked-bonuses-for-hyatt-diamond-members/
· Ask for 1,000pts for the diamond amenity during check in. If they forget to credit the 1,000pts, you can email/call Hyatt customer service and receive 1,500pts instead of the usual 1,000. See link above.