Updated on January 27, 2015
Hawaiian Airlines offers 35,000 bonus miles with a small spend.
That's enough for a Free Hawaii Flight.
THIS OFFER HAS EXPIRED.
Link to Apply for the Personal Card
What you need to know:
This might be enough to get you a round trip flight: From North America, flights to Hawaii are usually 20,000 miles each way and 40,000 miles for a round trip. Sometimes a discounted award is available for 17,500 miles – if you can score that you have enough for a round trip. Also, island hopping prices start at 7,500 miles (coach SuperSaver awards). There is a annual fee of $89/year (not waived unfortunately).
This card is issued by BarclayCard now which took over from Bank of America late last year which only really matters if you have a bunch of cards from Barclays already and they may not approve you for another. Here are a couple of other warnings to consider from Rapid Travel Chai.
Is this a good deal?
- If you want to go to Hawaii: this is a good and cheap way to get there. If you and your husband/wife/partner both get the card, your vacation is almost paid for! (my favorite, a free trip!). Or get both the Personal and Business cards (see below) and get two flights.
- If you are not looking to go to Hawaii: there are better options. Hawaiian airline miles are not my favorite to collect (because they are not as flexible as others) and there are a couple of other Barclays credit cards which I think have better offers and have listed them in my Top 5 list. For example, if you like flying First Class domestic lay flat or want to go to Europe, #1 on the list is Premier Miles & More® World MasterCard and #4 US Airways World Mastercard are better options and can get you a full round trip flight to Hawaii.
- You can redeem the miles on a few partners. Click here to see the partner redemption charts or the regular Hawaiian Airlines award redemption chart.
Here are the card details:
The Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite MasterCard®
- Earn 35,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days*
- Enjoy a complimentary 1st checked bag for the primary cardmember when you use your card to purchase eligible tickets directly from Hawaiian Airlines
- Receive a one-time 50% off a companion discount on roundtrip coach travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines
- Earn 2X miles on direct purchases from Hawaiian Airlines and 1X miles on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Get $100 off a companion ticket for roundtrip coach travel between Hawaii and North America on Hawaiian Airlines at each account anniversary
- Earn 5,000 annual bonus miles after $10,000 in annual spend
- See Terms and Conditions for details
Apply Now! (expired)
Business Version: There is also a business card available but the link has expired 7/31/14. Its almost the same except:
- Get 35,000 bonus miles after your first purchase (no minimum spend required as above with the personal card)
- Get up to 40,000 bonus miles (20,000 spending $50k or 40,000 after spending $100k+ in annual spend) — For big spenders! (If you are a really big spender there are better options for you out there.)
Apply for the Business Card (expired)
[In full disclosure, the Reward Boss gets paid a referral if you use some of the card links above for but for the others this is not the case. I research and post my opinions on the best deals I can find, regardless of whether there is a referral available. You don't have to use my links but I really appreciate if you do. As always, if you have any questions please feel free to post comments below. These statements have not been reviewed or approved by any of the above companies.]
Want to see how I earn enough points and miles to travel for free? Click here. Be one of the 10s of 10s of people who subscribe to receive email updates whenever I post a new article. Enter your email address in the top left corner of the site and that’s it. Cancel anytime. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or RSS feed.