The new Hilton rates go into effect very soon, unfortunately!
View from Wing does a great job at explaining the changes here.
To see a list of the new categories, click here: Hilton HotelCategoryChart 2013.
With a million Hilton dis-HHonors points saved up, I have a lot to lose. TIme to go on a Hilton HHonors spending spree before they get devalued by almost half. I found the Hilton hotels in the following places are the best bang for your buck. Figuring out where is the best use of your points then figuring out when you can possibly go takes a lot of time (well takes me a lot of time). My strategy was to look at several holidays coming up and book some speculative stays.
If I can’t go, I will cancel. Be careful, some properties are non-refundable (for points too!). Most of these are very far, but I did find one right in South Beach Florida — the rates range greatly, especially for a holiday period ($500 vs $200 for example). If you want to go during a holiday then it will be a great value. In any case, it will be very difficult to spend all these points but I’m going to have fun trying (a good problem to have right?). The value of a Hilton point, on a good day is 1 cent, but usually a little less.
|Hotel||Old Cat||New Cat||Reg Pts||Cash Price||4 Nite Award||AXON 4 nt Award Pts||Worth It?|
|Hilton Maldives/Iru Fushi Resort||7||10||50,000||$550||200k||145k||YES|
|Conrad Koh Samui (Thailand)||7||10||50,000||$800||200k||145k||YES|
|Hilton Bora Bora Nui||7||10||50,000||$600||200k||145k||YES|
|Hilton Seychelles Northolme||7||10||50,000||$800||200k||145k||YES|
|Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa||7||10||50,000||$500||200k||145k||YES|
|DoubleTree Seychelles – Allamanda Resort & Spa||7||8||50,000||$800||200k||145k||YES|
|Hilton Odawara (Japan)||7||10||50,000||$850||200k||145k||YES|
|Conrad Hong Kong||7||9||50,000||$500||200k||145k||YES|
|Hilton Moorea Lagoon (French Polynesia)||7||9||50,000||$450||200k||145k||YES|
|Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach||7||9||50,000||$500||200k||145k||YES|
|Hilton Melbourne South Wharf||7||8||50,000||$400||200k||145k||maybe|
|Conrad Sanya (China)||6||7||50,000||$400||200k||145k||maybe|
Note: The cash prices will vary based on the dates that you search by
A little more detail
1) Maldives: There are two Hilton properties in the Maldives, the Conrad and the Iru Fushi Resort. Online reviews say the Conrad is the way to go. Check out the photos online, this place is simply gorgeous. Prices here during peak season can range from $800-$2500 per night – for the cheapest room (not the over water villas!).
2) Bora Bora: Its tough to decide between Maldives, Bora Bora and Seychelles, but the Hilton Bora Bora Nui was $600+ per night when I checked around Thanksgiving time frame.
3) Seychelles: Hilton has 3 Hotels here
4) Japan: There are 2 expensive Hiltons in Japan – the Conrad Tokyo and the Hilton Odawara. I think the Conrad is the way to go here for most of us.
5) Thailand: The Conrad Koh Samui can cost you $800+ per night, or some HHonors points. You can also get a normal small hotel in the same town for about $50 per night, yes $50. What’s the difference? Check the pictures? Is it worth it — well that depends on your budget. You can have dinner in a restaurant for less than $10 per person and even have a massage for an hour for about $3.
6) South Beach, Miami: If you don’t want to go far, why not visit South Beach? Rooms can go from $200 to $800+ during holidays! Book 4 nights using the AXON Amex promotion and pay just 145k points instead of the regular 50k per night. This is definitely on my list.
7) Dubai: I’ve never been to Dubai, so I’m also booking the Conrad Dubai
8) Others — there were a couple others I found to be worthwhile,
The one I was most excited about was Maldives, Bora Bora, and Seychelles. I’ve seen many pictures in the past which are just amazing. Can’t decide? I know, tough decisions. In another post I will go through which one I chose and why.