Via introduces VIAPASS – Unlimited Rides in New York City
Via is trying out something new called VIAPASS which gives you unlimited rides in New York City for either 7 or 30 days. Given that rides are only $5 each ($5.95 on weekends), this will only be worth it if you take at least 2 rides per day, every single day, including weekends! There are a limited quantity of ViaPasses, though I'm not sure how popular this will be. Considering it costs more than double an unlimited monthly subway pass, I think the price will need to drop a bit to catch on.
- 7-day unlimited ViaPass = $69
- 30-day unlimited ViaPass = $255
- Compare vs 30-day Unlimited MetroCard = $116.50 (ViaPass is almost 2.2x the cost)
IS PAY PER RIDE BETER?
Regular Via (Per per ride) is probably better for most people who work 5 days per week.
With the 7 day pass, you'll be paying $9.85 per day for 7 days. If you only use it to and from work on weekdays, you are paying $13.80 per day, which is more expensive than just paying the regular $5 per ride fare.
With the 30 day pass, you are paying $8.50 per day for 30 days. Similar to above, if you only go to and from work on weekdays, you pay $12.75 per day. Again, you are better off just paying per ride.
So who is this targeting? Maybe Doordash, Delivery.com, TryCaviar, messengers and other restaurant delivery people who might use 10-20+ via's per day? Maybe Via will combine food delivery and you can get your food while getting a ride.
HOW TO SIGN UP
- New Users – Get $10 credit when you sign up with a promo code. Download the free app: App Store or Google Play. Enter it here on the app: click MENU –> PROMO CODES.
- Add a commuter card. Click MENU -> BILLING
- Buy ViaPass: Click MENU -> RIDE CREDIT and choose either the 7 day or 30 day pass. **If you do not see the ViaPass option, UPDATE YOUR APP
Here are the options you should see:
- The ViaPass is activated when you take your first ride.
- Just like an Unlimited MetroCard, the ViaPass is designed for you – additional passengers are extra. But because you’re a superstar, +1s are just $2 each when you have a valid ViaPass.
- The ViaPass is only valid for rides within Manhattan. If you’re traveling to JFK, LaGuardia, Chicago, DC, or South Orange County, you’ll need to buy extra Ride Credit.
- We’ll still need to charge you the standard $3 for canceling more than 1 minute after booking and for missing your pickup, since these are never cool, even with a ViaPass.
- There is a limited number of ViaPasses available for purchase this summer. Act quickly if you want one.
COMMUTER CRDIT CARD (USE PRE-TAX DOLLARS)
Via says they require you to use one of the following commuter cards to pay for ViaPass, though I did see the option available for friends who did not add a commuter card.
- WageWorks Commuter Card
- TransitChek Visa Card
- Commuter Check MasterCard
- Beniversal MasterCard
- eTRAC MasterCard
- Benefit Strategies Visa Card
MORE FREE RIDE CREDITS
- VIA: New Users – Get $10 credit when you sign up with a promo code. Download the free app: App Store or Google Play. Enter it here on the app: click MENU –> PROMO CODES.
- Lyft: $50 sign up bonus credit
- Uber: $20 sign up bonus credit
- Gett: $10 sign up bonus credit