I was surprised to see that many New York City hotels still have reward nights available for New Years Eve! If you haven't finalized your plans and have some points, chances are you can still find something, and this should be a good use of points with most hotels charging $500+ for the last day of the year. I suggest staying away from the huge crowds in Times Square (I did it once, be ready to be stuck in the crowd for hours in the freezing cold without access to bathrooms, food/drink, if you leave your spot, you won't be able to get back in. Here are some of the hotels that are still available:
Starwood Hotels – lots of availability at most of their NYC hotels. Unfortunately, cash and points is not available, so you have to either use points or pay $400 to $1000 for one night. Personally, I would save my SPG points and book with a different chain – like Club Carlson, for example, since I don't really value them highly.
- Four Points by Sheraton – SOHO: 12,000 points or $615 (the cheapest points option)
- W New York Union Square: 20,000 points or $750
- Le Parker Meridien New York: 20,000 points or $599
Club Carlson (The Radisson Chain):
- Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens: 38,000 Points or $350 (about 1 penny per point after taxes) – This is 20 minutes on the 7 train from Grand Central, though it is in Queens, not Manhattan.
Hilton Hotels – still lots of availability at almost all of their NYC Hotels, they all cost 70k-80k for 1 night. This is a crazy amount of points for 1 night at a Hilton hotel, but this is a chance to get a better value for your points since Hilton devalued HHonor points.
- Hilton Midtown: 70,000 points or $609
- Doubletree Times Square 70,000 points or $479 (near the ball drop craziness)
- Waldorf Astoria 80,000 points or $599
IHG – Intercontinental Hotels (The Holiday Inn Chain) – you get 10% back on any award redemption if you have their credit card
- Intercontinental Times Square or Barclay (east side) locations: 50,000 points or $799/$599
- Holiday Inn Express Manhattan West Side 35,000 points or $569
- Holiday Inn New York City Midtown 35,000 points or $599
Marriott – many options available for 35k to 40k points,