Do you have problems redeeming your SPG Starwood Suite Night Awards (SNAs)?
Does this error message look familiar?
We’re sorry, Suite Night Awards can’t be applied to this reservation. Learn Why
How about this error message?
Suite Night Awards can’t be requested for some types of reservations and in some circumstances — these are:
- The rate booked is a non-eligible SPG rate.
- The member does not have sufficient Suite Night Awards in the account for the duration of the stay.
- Suite Night Awards can’t be applied online to stays with more than one room. Please call us to use your Awards
- The number of people in a reservation party exceeds the capacity of any upgrade room options
- Suite Night Awards can’t be applied after 2 p.m. local hotel time the day before arrival
- Suite Night Awards can’t be applied to a reservation that is already booked with an upgrade option for those dates.
- The hotel isn’t configured for Suite Night Awards. Potential reasons include, but are not limited to, hotels that don’t have upgraded room types and all-suite hotels.
What are Suite Night Awards (SNAs)
For those who are not familiar with Suite Night Awards (SNAs), click here to read more. In short, 10 SNAs are awarded to SPG members who attain/re-qualify for Platinum status by staying 50 nights or more in a calendar year:
- Take an upgrade when it matters to you most. Receive 10 Suite Night Awards which can be redeemed for upgrades to suites and select premium rooms. Confirmed starting 5 days prior to arrival and subject to availability.
It’s already frustrating that SNAs do not get confirmed/secured by the check-in date. What’s more frustrating is when the system does not allow you to apply SNAs to a reservation made with an eligible rate (which includes award bookings).
Resolving SNA Issues
Most instances, this issue is resolved by selecting See Details:
The details page will allow you to apply SNAs to the reservation even though the prior page (listing all your bookings) says otherwise:
Didn’t Work? Try this
There are instances where the nifty trick above does not work, and there truly is a technical glitch preventing the application of SNAs. Forget about emailing or calling SPG – most reps provide canned replies along the lines of:
- “The rate you booked is ineligible” – but you know it’s not the case
- “The hotel is sold out of suites” – which is irrelevant since SNAs can be applied regardless of suite availability. The rep is confusing this with confirming/securing the suite upgrade which starts 5 days prior to check-in
The solution is to email Thyetus Lee, SPG Social Media Specialist, at email@example.com. Thyetus has helped resolve all of my reservations with SNA technical glitches which he notes “is a programming issue but sadly I am not in a position to reveal more”. It takes a few days for his IT team to fix the glitch, but it works… every time. Enjoy:
- Easy Short Cut to Starwood SPG Platinum Elite Status
- No Suite Upgrades All Year And SPG’s Apology
- Apparently I don’t understand how Starwood suite upgrades work anymore…
- Points Miles & Martinis – First experience using SPG Suite Night Awards
- Maximizing Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Confirmed Suite Upgrades
Be on the lookout for an upcoming post: Confirming Suite Night Awards Every Time – SPG Platinum 50/75/100 Members (DO NOT ATTEMPT)
Want to see how I earn enough points and miles to travel for free? Read this first. Be one of the 10s of 10s of people who subscribe to receive email updates whenever I post a new article. Enter your email address in the top left corner of the site (mobile users scroll down) and that’s it. Cancel anytime. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or RSS feed.