Earn up to 50,000 Miles By Opening A Fidelity Account
Fidelity is offering a generous 50,000 miles if you open an account – your choice of American Airlines, United, or Delta. There are also offers for an Apple gift card and deposit bonus, however, these require larger deposits.
*Update: 2/23/15: These promotions are still valid in 2015 so this list with all of the current expiration dates
LINKS TO SIGN UP:
- Link to American Airlines 50k Miles Offer – Expires 3/31/15
- Link to United 50k Miles Offer – Expires 4/30/15
- Link to Delta 50k Miles Offer – Expires 12/31/15
- Link to Apple up to $500 Gift Card Offer – Expires 10/14/15
- Link to Deposit Bonus up to $2500 Offer – Expiration date not listed
Here's how it works:
Earn up to 50,000 miles when you open and fund a non-retirement brokerage account or add new money to an existing one. 50,000 American or United miles are worth at least $1,000 while 50k Delta SkyPesos are worth some fraction of that, so clearly American or United would be the way to go. Well, it takes a lot of money $100k) to take advantage of the full 50,000 miles so this isn't for everyone.
Maybe when I'm done with the Citi Gold Checking Account Promotion I posted in Feb, I will go sign up for some United Miles, but I may need to borrow from family to get it done. I would likely go for one of the smaller bonuses though. After signing up for the 100 AA miles bonus and sharing US Air Miles (which will become AA miles) in December, I will have more than enough AA miles to last me for a while.
There are discussions on the details of what's allowed and what's not here on Flyertalk. Fidelity had similar offers in the prior years (see millionmilessecrets post, and thepointsguy's post from 2013) some people even reported signing up in 2012 for more than one offer. I believe they have tightened up the rules so that tricks like depositing/withdrawing/repeating won't count but I'm not 100% sure yet.
The rules do allow you to repeat the offer every 12 months, so if you follow the rules, and have the cash you can count on this bonus for years to come.
Some highlights you should keep in mind: (from Flyertalk)
- The funds or securities must stay in the account for 9 months
- The offer may be repeated every 365 days if the terms were met (rolling 12 months)
- The funds may not already be in a Fidelity account, but must be sourced from elsewhere
- If you are moving funds or securities out of Fidelity, with intent to move it back to claim this bonus, members have recommended to keep the funds/securities out for at least 3 months to avoid risk of losing eligibility for the deposit. Some have been told unofficially by advisers 30 days. YMMV.
- Members who have pulled funds/deposits out within 9 months have reported they were allowed to keep the miles, but were banned for life from being able to repeat the offer.
The Fine Print:
This promotional offer is only available to new or existing Fidelity brokerage account customers opening or depositing net new assets into a joint or individual nonretirement Fidelity Account®. Net new assets means external new money in minus money out, including distributions and transfers, during the qualification period. This offer expires December 31, 2015, and it is not transferable or valid in conjunction with any other Fidelity promotional offer. Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change, or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply. Promotional offers are limited to one per individual per rolling 12 months.
[Disclosure: I do not get any compensation if you use the above links.]
Want to see how I earn enough points and miles to travel for free? Click here. Be one of the 10s of 10s of people who subscribe to receive email updates whenever I post a new article. Enter your email address in the top left corner of the site and that's it. Cancel anytime. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or RSS feed.