Citi just released the highest AAdvantage Card Bonus sign up I have ever seen — 100,000 miles! The last Citi AAdvantage offer I signed up for was about 4 years ago for 75,000 miles. Its very rare to see a 100,000 sign up bonus anymore that this may be the best credit card offer of 2014. The last time I saw a 100,000 offer was with Amex Gold about 1 year ago and it didnt last long (there is frequently a British Airways 100k offer but those are not as valuable). If this sounds interesting, better hurry because offers like this usually don't last long.
LINK TO APPLY [expired] (leave the referral code and airport code blank if you don't have one)
There are a few catches:
- you have to spend $10,000 in 3 months
- the annual fee is $450 per year, and IT IS NOT WAIVED the first year (If you are military, you can get your fee waived – read this to find out how)
Woah, $450? That's a lot. Now lets look at what you'll get
What do you get?
- 100,000 American Airline miles (Round trip NYC to Bangkok is 70,000 coach / 110,000 business + ~$60 in fees).
- Since you have to spend $10k, you will have another 10k miles (1 mile per $1 spent), for a total of 110,000 miles. That NYC/Bangkok flight would cost around $1200 coach or $6000 business, so signing up is like getting a free round trip business class flight to Asia.
- $200 in statement credit on purchases within 12 months (i confirmed with citibank that you just have to spend $200 within 12 months to get the $200 credit which I already received on my first statement)
- Admirals Club Membership (they say its a value up to $500, but its only really worth something if you get much use out of having access to lounges. I'm usually on the run and dont have time, but its nice to have).
- Earn up to 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles per year — this will help you potentially earn the next level of status — not worth much to me
- No Foreign Purchase — great to have when you're international
- “Enhanced Airport Experience” — dedicated check-in and priority screening and boarding. Lets see, I had this with my other AAdvantage card, but it seemed that everyone else did too.
- First checked bag free — I try to travel light and international flights usually give you a checked bag free anyway.
Should I sign up?
- If you can manage to spend $10k in 3 months, this is a great offer! Fee too much? Would you pay $450 for a business class flight to Asia? Even if you use it to book domestic flights, that's 4 domestic flights at 25k miles where each domestic flight can cost up to around $500! If you own a business then put your business and personal expenses on this — maybe that will be enough.
- Too much to spend? These posts can help you FrequentMiler or 40 ways to hit your credit card spend
- I just signed up even though I have the AAdvantage Mastercard (that I got a few years ago with a 75k bonus) and I was approved instantly. Fingers crossed that I get 100k bonus but many people are saying that this is a completely different category of card so we will see.
Are you going to sign up?
* UPDATE – 1/30/14 – Citi has already sent my card via UPS Overnight so I will have it soon.
* UPDATE – 6/1/14 – Citi has upgraded their welcome package with a fancy black box. See picture below. The original was just a regular envelope.
(Hat tip to ThePointsGuy)
[Disclosure: I do not get any referral commission if you apply.]