UPDATE 8/26/15: New 100k Amex Platinum offer after $3k spend. $450 fee not waived. Load this link in Chrome Incognito. If you do not get the Amex 100k offer, close, repeat. Try other browsers and computers if it doesn’t work for you. It may take many many tries unless you are lucky enough to get it right away. If not, try the CardMatch Tool or call 800-243-3888 and say you are trying to apply for the 100k point/$3k spend Platinum offer online but are having trouble. Note: It appears you cannot get the bonus if you have had a Platinum card enrolled in Membership Rewards before.
UPDATE: 7/4/15: There is a 100k Amex Platinum offer available. Check here to see if you are eligible/targeted.
UPDATE 5/15/15 @ 8:30am: The 150k Platinum is dead based on more reports from readers, but I think it’s still worth calling 877-628-6736 and asking what offers you are eligible for. Check out the Top 5 Credit Card Offers.
150,000 SIGN UP BONUS
Wow! TravelCodex posted details today on the 150,000 sign up bonus for the Amex Platinum that is available using a special code. That’s a HUGE bonus and many bloggers are writing about it today (see related links below). When I called to confirm the details, the 150k would have been available if I didn’t have the Platinum card already, the rep offered to check what other offers I was eligible for. I provided one of my account numbers and found out about a 100,000 sign up bonus for the Business Gold Rewards Card which is also HUGE (and likely targeted)! I immediately said YES to the Gold Card offer.
The rep said the Gold offer may have been tied to the offer code but he’s not certain. He said I had the Gold card 3 years ago (i also got a 100k sign up bonus then), but that wasn’t a problem. Keep in mind that the “Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product within the last 12 months.” applies for both the Gold and Platinum cards. The first card he offered me was the SPG Amex with a 25k bonus (the same offer you can find online). Thank you American Express for another great offer!
EXPIRES TOMORROW 5/15/15 [EXPIRED]
HOW TO SIGN UP
- Call 877-628-6736 (877-628-OPEN)
- Choose “Apply for a new account”
- Give the rep this offer code: L081-994-816-5743 (I said a friend told me about it but the rep kept reading from his screen saying “so the offer you received in the mail”…)
- The rep should tell you about the 150k Platinum bonus offer. I told the rep I already have this card and he asked I was not eligible but he can check for other offers. I provided one of my account numbers and he started checking. One of the offers was the 100k Gold / $10k spend offer. The 100k Gold bonus may be targeted.
- Amex Platinum (Business): 100k bonus points after $10k spend, 150k Bonus after $20k spend in 3 months (if I hit the $10k spend but not $20k, I would still get the 100k points).
- Annual Fee $450 (not waived)
- $200 Airline Credit per calendar year (mostly offsets the annual fee)
- Free Global Entry ($100 statement credit) or TSA Pre✔TM ($85)
- read all the card benefits here
- Amex Gold (Business): 100k bonus points after $10k spend.
- Annual Fee $0 first year, then $175
- 3x points on purchases from one category (you can choose one per year)
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases for shipping
- U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers
- 2x points on purchases from the other 4 categories, 1x point on all other purchases
- read all the card benefits here
CAN I APPLY IF I DONT HAVE A BUSINESS/HAVE A NEW BUSINESS?
Yes. It is a business card but small and new businesses can apply (there are no formal requirements to setup a sole proprietorship). From the Small Business Administration, “In fact, you may already own [a business] without knowing it. If you are a freelance writer, for example, you are a sole proprietor.”
Amex will ask you what type of company you are (sole proprietor, partnership, corporation), your employer identification number (EIN) – use your SS# if you don’t have one, and your gross and net income. I don’t suggest lying here, if are you a new business or don’t have income, give them a small number and they will probably put you in the $0-$50k category.
WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THESE POINTS?
- Amex Membership Reward Points are very valuable! They can be transferred to these partners: Delta, AeroMexico, Air Canada, Air France, KLM, Alitalia, ANA, Asia Miles, British Airways, El Al, Emirates, Frontier, Hawaiian, Iberia, JetBlue, Singapore Airlines, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic
- My single favorite use is to transfer my Amex points to British Airways Avios when there is a big 40% transfer bonus then use those points for short flights. Try this tool to see where you can go and how many Avios it costs. It doesn’t matter if its international, as long it is a cheap flight, it costs very few Avios. Here are some examples:
- NYC to Miami costs only 7,500 Avios one way
- NYC to Montreal costs only 4,500 Avios one way
- NYC to Caribbean costs only 10,000 Avios one way
- Lima to ANYWHERE in Peru costs only 4,500 Avios one way
- Lima to Ecuador or Bolivia costs only 7,500 Avios one way
- To be clear, I do not transfer to British Air Avios unless there is a big bonus like 30-40% at least unless I have an exact flight in mind that I need. Until then, I leave them in my Amex account. That turns 100,000 Amex Points into up to 140,000 Avios or more. That’s at least 9 round trip flights to Florida which on average cost $250+. Or that could be 15 round trip flights to Montreal which are probably $300-400 each.
CHECK YOUR APPLICATION STATUS
If you do not get approved instantly, you can quickly check your application status online. The same link will also show you the cards you recently applied for.
These are BIG bonuses but also BIG spends $10k and $20k. If you can manage the spend, then these are amazing offers and I suggest you apply today before it expires tomorrow! If you are worried about hitting the spend and you are not comfortable with manufactured spending, then sit this one out. There are an unusual amount of great offers with lower spend requirements that I just wrote about here.
Which offer will you go for?
- TravelCodex: Amex Platinum 150K Bonus Point Offer Expires Tomorrow
- Miles Per Day: HOT! American Express Business Platinum 150,000 MR point offer
- Doctor Of Credit: American Express Business Platinum 150,000 Offer – Publicly Available
- Frequent Miles: 150k Bonus on the American Express Business Platinum – Expires Tomorrow
- MilesToMemories: Huge 150k Sign-Up Bonus for Amex Business Platinum & the $20k Platinum Spending Challenge
- MileValue: 150K POINT SIGN UP BONUS ON AMEX PLATINUM BUSINESS CARD ENDS TOMORROW
- MilesToMemories: 100k Amex Business Gold Offer & Why You May Want to Call Amex